I got this basic no-hassle lasagna recipe from my friend Linda and found that it is far superior to recipes that boil the noodles ahead of time. No dealing with hot and slippery noodles! Then I altered the recipe to contain pesto instead of red sauce and added some vegetables. This twist on a classic recipe is always a big hit with guests.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6-9 servings
- 1 package uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup pesto (I used fresh, but you can purchase it at the grocery as well)
- 2 cups water
- 1 16-ounce container of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups uncooked sliced vegetables (Whatever you like, I used sliced mushrooms and spinach)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add eggs, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. Set aside.
In another bowl, mix together pesto and water. Pour a thin layer of this mixture on the bottom of a 9×13 glass pan.
Add a layer of dry lasagna noodles to the bottom of the pan. Cover with spoonfuls of the cheese mixture and a layer of vegetables. Repeat this process until pan is almost full and pour the remaining pesto mixture over the top of the dish.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 10 minutes.