Jessica (Jesse) Hanus
740 South Ave., Apt 1, Rochester, NY 14609
(518) 248-7466 :: email@example.com
Communications specialist seeking a challenging full-time position in Western New York. Looking to further my career in the public relations field and use my organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Content management systems (Umbraco, WordPress)
- Image editing and design (Photoshop, InDesign)
- Blogging and word processing software (WordPress, Microsoft Office)
- Online marketing (MailChimp, SurveyMonkey)
- Mastery of AP style
- Social media (Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Pinterest)
- Digital photography
- Video production (Final Cut, Premiere Pro)
- Audio editing (Audacity)
Rochester Institute of Technology :: Rochester, NY
Bachelor of Science in Communication – Journalism, 2011
Schenectady County Community College :: Schenectady, NY
Associate of Science in Business Administration, 2008
Xerox :: Rochester, NY
Communications Specialist, July 2012-Present
- Write and distribute press releases, newsletters, reports, biographies, and other written content
- Contributed editing and feedback to help create two event briefing books
- Video and photo assignments including creating a video podcast storyboard, attending filming and editing sessions, photographing headshots and facilities
Groove Juice Swing / Independent :: Rochester, NY
Swing Dance Instructor, Performer, and Executive Board Member, May 2006-Present
- Assist in the planning and execution of three yearly workshop weekends with upward of 250 attendees, weekly classes, and weekly and monthly dances.
- Responsible for agenda and note taking at weekly meetings and daily management of email, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube accounts.
- Film and edit video recaps of classes and events.
Democrat and Chronicle :: Rochester, NY
Freelance Writer/Photographer, May 2011-Present
- Contribute articles and photos to HerRochester.com, a section of the online publication, as well as the young professionals and business sections.
- Responsibilities have included weekly Women to Watch column, daily social media posts, and weekly blog posts.
- Produce material on a tight deadline that focus on topics of interest to female readers, young professionals, and businesspeople in Rochester.
Rochester City Newspaper :: Rochester, NY
Freelance Writer/Photographer, June 2010-Present
- Pitch, research, fact check, and write feature articles and blogs on a strict deadline.
- Produced cover stories about the Latin dance and comedy scenes in Rochester.
- Photograph images to accompany articles.
RIT’s Reporter magazine :: Henrietta, NY
Writer, Sept. 2009-May 2011
- Experience writing news, leisure, and feature articles.
- Regularly worked on a deadline.
- Collaborated with editors, other writers, and photographers to complete pieces.
- Live Coverage: Imagine RIT innovation festival :: Official live blogger for TEDxRochester
- Video Stories: Imagine RIT exhibitors :: Gordon Webster band on playing for swing dancers
- Audio Stories: East Avenue Wegmans expansion :: Groupon’s impact on local businesses
- In-Depth Pieces: Rochester’s local food movement :: Rochester International Jazz Festival
RIT Digital Journalism Tool Development Contest, 2nd place :: Rochester, NY
ExtreeNews.com, May 2011
- Created a hyper-local news web app that finds news based on the user’s geographical location.
- Worked with a programmer to build the website, provide feedback, and make modifications.
- Developed a business plan which detailed the cost structure, product testing, implementation, and advantages for news organizations.
Kearse Writing Award :: Rochester, NY
Journalism Category, March 2010
- Wrote a research paper titled, “The Rise of Infotainment and Its Impact on Audiences and Political Involvement.”
- Concluded that infotainment can and has increased political interest and has the potential to increase political involvement, especially in younger generations.